Job ID TI-16096
Date posted 08/08/2022
PRINCIPAL FULL STACK ENGINEER
WHAT IS THE OPPORTUNITY?
As a member of the Wealth Technology Group, the Full Stack Principal Engineer would be responsible for accelerating transformation and innovation while being responsible for designing, developing and maintaining legacy and "Cloud First" applications written primarily in C# and focused on .Net Core and Azure cloud platform. The group is continuously working to improve our Agile, Engineering, and DevOps practices and this role will be expected to actively participate in these efforts.
At its core, this role requires excellent problem solving skills and C#/.Net, Java, Python and full stack coding capability. This role will need to effectively communicate, collaborate, and influence engineering and business team members and senior management across many projects and departmental boundaries. The Full Stack Principal Engineer is an expert professional with deep expertise or unique industry knowledge who uses in depth skill sets to contribute to development of company objectives and principles and to achieve goals in creative and effective ways.
The Full Stack Principal Engineer solves unique and complex problems that have a broad impact on the business. The Full Stack Senior Engineer develops both front-end and back-end solutions. Designs, develops, updates/maintains solutions and provides technical guidance to other Team Members across T&I.
At this level the main challenge is to identify causes and implement solutions to complex & critical business problems in a multifunctional project, assessing and communicating issues of technology impact on the business.
The colleague in this position would be comfortable with the following activities:
- Collects & in-depth analyzes business requirements for small, medium, large & critical projects.
- Translates complex requirements into an appropriate design, performs in-depth feasibility studies.
- Leads & and provides guidance to other colleagues in new product reviews, tests, and pilots.
- Evaluates application software packages and makes recommendations to senior management.
Technology and Innovation Division
As a member of City National's Technology & Innovation group, you will drive, develop, and maintain solutions for clients and colleagues. This is an exciting time of technology advancement and innovation across the bank, particularly within our technology teams.
WHAT WILL YOU DO?
- Help lead in the design & development of cross-functional, multi-platform application systems.
- Write great quality code with a drive for automated testing and validation based on the You Build You Own (YBYO) model.
- Perform complex engineering activities for performance tuning, monitoring, deployment and production support.
- Research, influence and implement vendor dependency to simplify the architecture.
- Implement, maintain and update CI/CD pipelines on a cloud environment.
- Collaborate with business partners, architects and other groups to identify complex technical and functional needs of systems based on priority.
- Collaborate with multiple, enterprise-wide distributed performing teams to deliver new capabilities in business applications.
- Design and develop API’s for Omni-channel clients.
- Provide technical guidance to Team members
- Build APIs and UIs to help make use of large data sets, infrastructure and user experience.
- Owns the full life-cycle for web software development, from ideas to production.
- Provides programming expertise and business analysis skills within broad business area, usually as a senior member of a project team, in analyzing, designing, modifying, and developing business applications.
- Creates and educates on programming specifications from which programs will be written, and designs, codes, tests, debugs, and documents programs.
- Create & review programming documentations and recommend changes in development, maintenance and application standards.
- Analyzes and develops logical database designs, data models and relational data definitions across multiple computing environments (e.g., host based, distributed systems, client server, etc.)
- Complies with architectural standards and established methodologies and practices.
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO SUCCEED?
- Bachelor's Degree Computer Science, MIS / CIS, STEM related major preferred or equivalent experience
- Minimum of 12 years of software development experience And
- Minimum of 10 years of experience: Java, .NET, Python And
- Minimum of 6 year experience with databases and data modeling / design (SQL & NoSQL)
- Minimum of 3 years coordinating team efforts in a project or operations environment
- Minimum of 6 years in full stack development for cloud solutions (Azure or AWS) - Azure preferred
Skills and Knowledge
- 8+ years of experience managing software development projects through complete release cycles
- 4+ years of experience in big data and event streaming technologies: Spark, Kafka, etc.
- 4+ years of experience leading software engineering teams
- 2+ years of experience in cloud technologies: Azure(big plus), AWS, OpenStack, etc.
- 2+ years of experience with container and orchestration: Docker, Kubernetes, etc.
- 2+ years of experience in build and CICD technologies: GitHub, BitBucket, Azure DevOps, Maven, Jenkins, Nexus or Sonar
- 2+ years of Scaled agile experience
- 4+ years of experience in quality assurance technologies: ATDD, Selenium, Cucumber, JUnit, NUnit, SoapUI or Postman
- 4+ years of experience in Unix Shell scripting
- Certified in .Net, Java, Spring or cloud technologies
- Exposure of data management methodologies
- Experience with serverless architectures and computing
- Preferably 2+ UI/UX development & design systems: CSS, Web Components, Less, Sass
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT RELATED FUNCTION
- Supports full investment management cycle with main focus on portfolio management
- Experience in retail wealth/portfolio management required
- Experience in performance and attribution a plus
Solid financial software engineering background is desirable
CFA, FRM, and/or Financial Engineering degree and/or risk management knowledge is a major plus
- Experience in Financial markets, and have ability to communicate directly with the business users
Starting base salary: $144,080 - $187,170 per year. Exact compensation may vary based on skills, experience, and location. This job is eligible for bonus and/or commissions.
*To be considered for this position you must meet at least these basic qualifications
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
INCLUSION AND EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYMENT
City National Bank is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other basis protected by law.
ABOUT CITY NATIONAL
We start with a basic premise: Business is personal. Since day one we've always gone further than the competition to help our clients, colleagues and community flourish. City National Bank was founded in 1954 by entrepreneurs for entrepreneurs and that legacy of integrity, community and unparalleled client relationships continues to drive phenomenal growth today. City National is a subsidiary of Royal Bank of Canada, one of North America’s leading diversified financial services companies.
Positions based in New York City:
In order to work on-site at City National Bank in New York City, you must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, per city requirements. Shortly after your start date, you will be required to attest to your vaccination status and will be required to provide proof of vaccination.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled