Lead Credit Officer - Commercial Real EstateStart Application Job ID RE-8246 CityLos Angeles StateCalifornia Exempt/Non ExemptExempt ShiftDay Work ScheduleMon-Fri, 8am-5pm
Build your career with a stable and expanding organization as a Lead Credit Officer in City National's Real Estate Banking (REB) division. With high integrity and a platform designed for success, the Real Estate team focuses on creating value and supporting development through loans to Real Estate Developers and Investors in selected target markets and product types.
You should have a deep expertise in credit and loan underwriting, confidently stepping into a key role in the loan management process for the REB division. You are as skilled at acting in an advisory capacity as you are navigating day-to-day operations. Your expertise should extend to credit approval, oversight of an inventory of portfolio management reports, development and management of the REB team members, and overall strategic and tactical leadership of the Real Estate Banking division.
- Manages workflow and priorities in conjunction with or in the absence of the Credit Manager. Works with Relationship Managers, Credit Officers and Credit Analysts to achieve accurately prepared presentations for credit approval and portfolio management.
- Provides technical guidance to and reviews the work of less experienced Credit Officers and Credit Analysts. Guides and assists the Credit Officers and Credit Analysts in research, credit structuring, financial analysis, etc. for complex accounts.
- Responds to questions or inquiries concerning credit policies, procedures, structuring, etc. before it is elevated, if necessary, to the Credit Manager.
- Coaches, counsels and provides general direction and guidance to staff, when called upon.
- Develops and motivates team members, assists Credit Manager in formulating and identifying training needs for staff development and provides educational/training opportunities.
- Assists the Credit Manager in departmental reporting of past dues, portfolio reviews, etc.
- Evaluates and examines credit requests in order to assess credit worthiness including loan quality, credit risk classification, loan structure, collateral analysis, pricing and adherence to Bank policies. Approves or declines credit requests within assigned authority. Analyzes and recommends approval/declination of credit requests which exceed assigned authority. Assures that all Credit Policy Exceptions, Portfolio Monitoring Codes are accurately reflected in loan presentations and that mitigating factors are properly addressed.
- Provides balanced and appropriate credit guidance to REB line colleagues and collaborates in determining appropriate credit strategy.
- Provides input to the REB line of business when loan pricing does not appear to reflect inherent risk in subject transaction. Pricing may be either too high or to low.
- Ensures that the RELAR contains a well-supported recommendation or decision; the risk rating is correct and supported; and the data and analytics used to support the decision are accurate and calculated correctly.
- Collaborates with team members by providing credit alternatives and creative ways to structure credits ensuring that transactions are within profitability and portfolio risk standards.
- Participates in restructuring loans as required. Assumes accountability for minimizing Bank losses.
- Manages delinquencies of both matured loans and past due monitoring items.
- Primary role in early problem loan identification and the timely and accurate changes in loan grades. Monitors and takes initiative to respond to past dues based on information provided by the Relationship Manager.
- Participates in quarterly financial reviews of client's financial condition including monitoring covenants and conditions. Communicates and discusses findings with the Relationship Manager and REB Managers, where necessary.
- Performs portfolio reviews and responds to questions raised in internal and external audits and examinations.
- Works with Credit Administration to facilitate an accurate and timely credit decision and optimal credit strategy.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge on all Bank lending policies and regulations. Confers with the Manager and appropriate Bank personnel regarding new/existing lending requirements and regulations.
- Acts in accordance with Bank' credit culture and strategies.
- Responsible and accountable for appropriate quality controls related to the financial products the bank provides, the services the bank delivers, the processes employed and the incentives with which colleagues are awarded
- Responsible for assuring that Annual Credit Reviews (ACRs) are prepared in accordance with REB ACR format and guidelines. Assures that ACR's are completed within department completion guidelines.
- Ensure that all City National products, financial solutions and services are to be provided ethically and with integrity in a manner that is consistent with the client-first culture and values embodied in City National's PRIDE statement.
- Identifies and rectifies conflicts between Bank Credit Policy and REB Department Policy.
- *Minimum 7 years of experience in underwriting medium to large sized and moderately-complex commercial real estate credit required.
- *Minimum 7 years of experience in a banking or financial services environment required.
- *Bachelor's degree and/or Credit training is required.
- 10 years or more of experience in underwriting medium to large sized and moderately-complex commercial real estate credits
- Highly knowledgeable in commercial credit policies and procedures
- Strong credit analysis and accounting skills with the ability to communicate skillfully and effectively in both verbal/written forms
- Good organizational skills
- Ability to assume responsibility and accountability for decision making
- Ability to work well independently and in teams, and interact effectively with all levels of Bank personnel and outside contacts
Experience in underwriting large and complex commercial real estate credit and consumer loans, which includes analyzing, interpreting, and evaluating financial statements, cash flow analysis, familiarity with various types of commercial real estate, collateral issues and values, loan structuring and guarantor personal financial statements and tax returns.
*Represents basic qualifications for the position. To be considered for this position you must at least meet the basic qualifications.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, Minorities/Females/Individuals with Disabilities/Veterans
Note: This preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Note: Candidates should be advised that City National Bank does not pay interviewee travel expenses or relocation expenses for candidates who are hired unless previously agreed.
*LI-NS1Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled