DEPUTY CHIEF CREDIT OFFICER
WHAT IS THE OPPORTUNITY?
The Deputy CCO will support the Chief Credit Officer in managing, directing, and controlling the lending activities of the Bank in the areas of portfolio management, underwriting, and loan workout activities. This position will assist the Chief Credit Officer in supporting a team of Credit Administrators, Credit Portfolio Risk, Credit Portfolio Management, Credit Policy and Division Credit Managers with a heavy emphasis on work flow processes to effectively manage the credit pipeline within the framework of prudent lending. The Deputy CCO will have delegated credit approval authority and serve on the Bank's Credit and Portfolio Review Committee along with other tasks as needed.
Credit Administration Division
As a member of City National's Credit Administration group, you will contribute to the company's success by upholding the bank’s strong credit culture, while facilitating growth and maintaining the quality of City National’s loan portfolio.
WHAT WILL YOU DO?
- Directly and indirectly monitor the lending portfolio to ensure that CNB operates within Bank's risk appetite, policies and procedures, and in accordance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Provide expertise and make recommendations regarding the Bank’s Credit Policy and Credit & Portfolio Management Policy.
- Oversee the day to day administration of the Bank's portfolio management and underwriting functions for core business lines.
- Improve and monitor workflow from initial loan analysis until funding to ensure efficient and rapid credit decision making while maintaining accuracy and compliance with Bank’s credit risk appetite and any pertinent regulations
- Review and approve or decline credits within delegated authority limits and make recommendations related to credits that require additional approval authority.
- Ensure timely, accurate and appropriate credit risk ratings and impairment analyses.
- Review and approve the Bank’s allowance methodology and provision for loan losses.
- Ensure effective use of technology to maximize efficiency and accuracy within lending processes.
- Coordinate and align with RBC parent on credit related policies, procedures, strategies and practices.
- Ensure CNB is able to manage the portfolios within the set concentration limits and Board approved risk appetite
- Lead the review and challenge of 1st LOD credit strategies, new initiatives and new products/services
- Ensure that credit analyses and actions adhere to Bank credit policy and regulatory guidelines.
- Manages larger problem loans and manages and monitors workout activities.
- Responsible for providing oversight for the coordination with the examiners, in all “Asset Quality” related examination data, document requests and information that is needed.
- Maintains, updates, and recommends changes to the Bank’s loan policy as it pertains, but is not limited to, underwriting criteria, loan authorities, structure requirements, pricing guidelines, collections, and charge-offs. Periodically reviews and reevaluates the adequacy and effectiveness of established policies and procedures.
- Manage a team of multiple Credit Administrators, Credit Managers and their teams of Portfolio Managers and Analysts
- Recruit and retain qualified team members to ensure staff is skilled and staffing level is adequate to meet the needs of the business.
- Present to Senior Management, Senior Management Committees and Board or Board Committees
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO SUCCEED
- Bachelor's Degree in finance or economics
- Minimum 12 years of senior credit experience in C&I, Commercial Real Estate, Consumer, Mid and Large Corporate Lending
- Minimum of 7 years of senior management-level credit experience including adjudication and portfolio management
- Minimum of 7 years in credit oversight positions as a senior credit administrator or senior loan officer from a prominent commercial banking institution
Skills and Knowledge
- Master's degree preferred
- Credit expertise is required in C&I and commercial real estate lending. SBA lending knowledge are desired.
- Must have proven executive level skills including significant responsibility in a senior management role.
- Knowledge of specialist lending activities that may include: entertainment lending, private banking, telecommunication and media, technology, mortgage warehousing, equipment leasing and other.
- An interpersonal style which enables the executive to effectively interface with senior management including the President, City National Bank, Board of Directors, clients, other colleagues, and regulators.
- The ability to attract, build and develop a talented and creative team with sufficient knowledge, skills, experience and positive work habits to drive successful delivery of the company’s credit strategies. Someone who effectively partners with key constituents and constituencies and is recognized for being a team player and collaborative.
- Demonstrated expertise in financial analysis, loan structuring, and problem credit resolution.
- Experience in asset recovery and loan work-outs.
- Experience in credit risk grading and portfolio monitoring. Understanding of the SBA SOP strongly preferred.
- This position must be personable and diplomatic, possess understanding of others and be dedicated to supporting the communities in which City National operates.
*To be considered for this position you must meet at least these basic qualifications
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
INCLUSION AND EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYMENT
City National Bank is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other basis protected by law.
ABOUT CITY NATIONAL
We start with a basic premise: Business is personal. Since day one we've always gone further than the competition to help our clients, colleagues and community flourish.City National Bank was founded in 1954 by entrepreneurs for entrepreneurs and that legacy of integrity, community and unparalleled client relationships continues to drive phenomenal growth today. City National is a subsidiary of Royal Bank of Canada, one of North America’s leading diversified financial services companies.
City National Bank requires all colleagues to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to work on-site at any of our locations.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled