Credit Officer IJob ID SPEC-11046 City La Jolla State California Exempt/Non Exempt Exempt Shift Day Work Schedule Monday - Friday 8:00a - 5:00p
Participates in the loan management process by providing credit and loan underwriting expertise to the cash flow lending/leveraged finance group within Specialty Banking. Analyzes prospective loan transactions and credit worthiness of borrowers. Validates the credit analysis prepared by the Credit Analysts and provides opinions and recommendations regarding proposed credit and potential risks. Ensures all due diligence and background evaluation is complete and thorough before Credit Risk Recommendation ("CRR") is submitted.
- Analyzes financial statements, cash flow analysis, familiarity with various industries, collateral issues and values, loan structuring and guarantor personal financial statements and tax returns. Manages covenant compliance and financial reporting. Violation reporting and communication with Client completed in partnership with Relationship Manager and Credit Manager. Works with the Credit Manager in structuring creative deals and determining alternative approaches. Loan size may vary from $1million to $5 million.
- Reviews loan requests, historical financial information, cash flow projections and third party reporting (e.g., Quality of Earnings Reports, Environmental reports, cash flow projections, industry analysis, etc); evaluates and determines credit structure and terms; fully underwrites CRR consistent with Bank format, policies and procedures; determines sources and uses of funds; analyzes industry data, competitive factors, historical performance, projected results, risks, and mitigating factors. Ensures CRR contains a well supported recommendation or decision; the risk rating is correct and supported; and the data and analytics used to support the decision are accurate and calculated correctly.
- Attends client meetings at Relationship Manager, Team Manager, or Credit Manager's request to facilitate delivery of credit product and/or assist in problem resolution. Contacts borrowers directly, for additional information and details related to loan request or clarification of financial materials and resources.
- Provides balanced and appropriate credit guidance to Relationship Manager and Manager and collaborates in determining appropriate credit strategy.
- Provides credit alternatives and creative ways to structure credits ensuring that transactions are within profitability and portfolio risk standards. Authors credit approval memorandum.
- Provides input to the Relationship Manager and Credit Manager when loan pricing does not appear to reflect inherent risk in subject transaction. Pricing may be either too high or to low. Restructures loans and/or lines of credit as required. Assumes accountability for minimizing Bank losses.
- Performs quarterly Problem Loan reporting for Criticized / Classified credits including: financial reviews of client's financial condition including monitoring covenants and conditions. Takes a proactive approach toward development and implementation of Action Plans. Escalates potential credit issues to Relationship Manager, Team Manager, and/or Credit Manager.
- Has primary role in early problem loan identification and the timely and accurate changes in loan grades. Monitors and takes initiative to respond to past dues based in partnership with Relationship Manager.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge on all Bank lending policies and regulations. Confers with the Credit Manager and appropriate Bank personnel regarding new/existing lending requirements and regulations.
- May coordinate loan documentation including work with legal, CLC, or other outside counsel to obtain the correct, accurate documents to ensure all loan are documented to fully protect the Bank's interests in the credit relationship. Reviews collateral periodically to minimize credit exposure.
- Participate in the training and development of the Credit Analyst on the team including financial statement analysis, business writing, cash flow modeling and enterprise valuation.
- *Bachelor's degree required
- *Minimum 3 years of experience in underwriting small sized cash flow loans.
- *Minimum 3 years of experience in a banking or financial services environment required
- Frequent use and application of leveraged lending credit policies and procedures.
- Excellent credit analysis and accounting skills.
- Strong ability to communicate skillfully and effectively in both verbal/written forms.
City National Bank is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Affirmative Action Employer, Minorities/Females/Individuals with Disabilities/Veterans
Note: This preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Note: Candidates should be advised that City National Bank does not pay interviewee travel expenses or relocation expenses for candidates who are hired unless previously agreed.