CounselJob ID LCAG-13603 City Los Angeles State California Additional Location: Exempt/Non Exempt Exempt Shift Day Work Schedule M-F, 8-5
WHAT IS THE OPPORTUNITY?
This position will provide general commercial finance and transactional support to the Bank's commercial lending lines of business and its lending operations, including supporting special projects and developing and structuring new lending products. Substantial expertise in structuring, documenting, and negotiating loans is essential and experience with most of the following is ideal: syndicated facilities, asset-based loans, term and revolving credit facilities, working capital loans, acquisition loans, senior and subordinated credits, real estate financing transactions, and intercreditor arrangements. Experience with loan defaults, restructurings, and workouts (e.g., election of remedies, forbearance agreements), ancillary real estate financing documentation (e.g., SNDAs and landlord waivers), and analyzing trust documents in the lending context is preferred. This position requires the ability to work and communicate effectively with management and staff from the lowest to the highest levels. The candidate will provide advice in connection with the implementation of overall business strategy for the Bank and its lending operations. Prior experience advising banks is preferred.
Legal and Corporate Administration Group
Make a meaningful difference as a member of City National's Legal & Corporate Administration Group, the area of the bank that manages legal and corporate governance, community reinvestment, corporate premises and corporate security.
WHAT WILL YOU DO?
- Provides counsel and assistance to Bank colleagues with respect to all commercial lending matters, including drafting and negotiating loan documents and advising on legal, regulatory and operational lending issues.
- Advises on structuring issues and prepares loan term sheets and commitment letters.
- Advises colleagues regarding collateral perfection and priority issues.
- Conducts due diligence, including the review of contracts and the preparation of summaries.
- Advises as to real estate lending matters, including syndication matters, intercreditor arrangements, title insurance, SNDAs, and real estate regulatory requirements.
- Assists with pre-bankruptcy restructurings, workouts and foreclosures as necessary, including preparing default letters and forbearance agreements.
- Assists with special projects (e.g, LIBOR transition and PPP loans)..
- Reviews and updates form loan documents.
- Conducts research and advises on policies with respect to new lending products and changes in law.
- Partners with business units and support groups (e.g., risk management, compliance, product and operations teams) to provide effective and efficient legal guidance regarding commercial finance matters.
- Supports senior attorneys.
- Supervises outside counsel on assigned matters, including fee arrangements and budgets.
- Responsible for certain administrative and operational functions within the Legal Division.
- Complies fully with all Bank policies and procedures.
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO SUCCEED
- *Juris Doctor/JD required and admitted to practice law in California or the ability to register as In-House Counsel in California.
- *Minimum 5 years of relevant experience at a major law firm or in-house legal department.
- *Minimum 5 years of experience supporting all aspects of commercial lending matters and transactions and providing related counsel and advice.
Skills and Knowledge
- Be well versed in state and federal laws and regulations governing the assigned area(s) of responsibility, banking environment, and related industry practices.
- Demonstrated experience in analyzing, interpreting and communicating strategies and requirements, and the ability to translate complex legal issues into concise presentations.
- Excellent problem solving abilities and effective verbal and written skills.
- Strong documentation skills.
- Ability to manage multiple projects concurrently and meet deadlines.
- Flexibility and ability to work well within both the legal team and cross-functional teams.
- Experience with managing confidential information and documents with discretion.
- Experience working in or for the financial services industry.
- Strong business sense and ability to exercise good business judgement.
*To be considered for this position you must meet at least these basic qualifications
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
INCLUSION AND EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYMENT
City National Bank is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other basis protected by law.
ABOUT CITY NATIONAL
We start with a basic premise: Business is personal. Since day one we've always gone further than the competition to help our clients, colleagues and community flourish.City National Bank was founded in 1954 by entrepreneurs for entrepreneurs and that legacy of integrity, community and unparalleled client relationships continues to drive phenomenal growth today. City National is a subsidiary of Royal Bank of Canada, one of North America’s leading diversified financial services companies.
City National Bank requires all colleagues to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to work on-site at any of our locations.