WEALTH PLANNER SENIOR
WHAT IS THE OPPORTUNITY?
This position is responsible for expanding the Bank's relationships with its high net-worth (HNW*) and ultra-high net-worth (UHNW**) clients. Helps to attract new prospective clients to the Bank by partnering with field business development officers. HNW clients possess estates that will likely face federal and/or State transfer taxation. UHNW clients possess estates that will likely face transfer taxation regardless of the lifetime gift-tax strategies employed.
Private Banking Division
As a member of City National's Private Banking group, you will help deliver tailored financial solutions to high- and ultra-high-net-worth families, select professional services firms and select nonprofits. Exceptional, customized service and integrated solutions and strategies, investment management, trust and wealth planning set this team apart.
WHAT WILL YOU DO?
- Develop integrated estate and financial plans for U/HNW clients through partnering with colleagues and COIs. Work with clients to understand their specific goals and objectives to provide solutions to meet their needs. Set the agenda for the wealth planning process and manage the process of implementing the solutions. Analyze client’s current situation, identify future life-changing events, understand client’s family dynamics, and educate clients on tax risks.
- Develop comprehensible explanations of sophisticated wealth planning strategies in areas of interest to UHNW clients.
- Submit for peer review all client-facing custom designed output.
- Peer review client-facing custom designed output from other Sr. Wealth Planners.
- Participate in routine third-party audits of all material subject to peer review.
- Create understandable, customized strategy explanations that are consistent across the enterprise and of high quality.
- Participate and/or lead client meetings and work within a team environment to deliver integrated planning services to clients.
- Keep abreast of legislative and tax changes.
- Participate in the sales process to grow revenue by calling on prospective clients in conjunction with colleagues.
- Enhance existing relationships and reduce attrition by designing integrated wealth plans that enhance the value that banking colleagues bring to their relationships.
- Raise awareness of proper channel alignment when confronted with a client/prospect that is more appropriately served by another line of business.
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with COI’s directly and in partnership with colleagues.
- Participate in client and community events.
- Present at Bank sponsored events information regarding wealth planning issues that are relevant and compelling for that particular audience.
- Collaborate with marketing and training to prepare written and oral presentations to support educational programs for colleagues, clients and prospective clients.
- Write articles on timely topics of wealth planning that can be distributed to clients or marketing materials to the Bank’s clients, prospects, and COIs.
- Coach and mentor colleagues on wealth planning processes.
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO SUCCEED
- Minimum 10 years of direct financial planning, estate planning, and sophisticated tax planning experience
- Minimum 8 years of experience within a banking or wire-house culture.
- CPA - Certified Public Accountant or JD
Skills and Knowledge
- Demonstrable expertise in multiple areas such as: Portfolio design; transfer tax; life insurance; domestic and international asset protection; income tax; retirement funding (qualified and non-qualified); captive insurance; legacy trusts
- Demonstrable expertise in the use of financial modeling systems such as eMoney, NaviPlan, WealthStation, or the like
- Stay current on cutting edge wealth planning solutions while retaining the ability to explain and implement those solutions in an easy to understand manner
- Demonstrable expertise in Team-Based (multi-disciplinary) wealth planning
- Demonstrable expertise in multiple wealth planning issues (e.g., portfolio construction, life insurance, transfer taxation, asset protection, business succession, closely-held asset diversification)
- Demonstrable expertise at easily explaining complex strategies to clients and COIs; and quickly identifies and pursues to a successful sale Bank product or service solutions that align with the best interest of the client.
- Outstanding presentation skills
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Outstanding Word, Excel, and PowerPoint creation abilities
Starting base salary: $172,224 - $233,013 per year. Exact compensation may vary based on skills, experience, and location. This job is eligible for bonus and/or commissions.
*To be considered for this position you must meet at least these basic qualifications
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
INCLUSION AND EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYMENT
City National Bank is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other basis protected by law.
ABOUT CITY NATIONAL
We start with a basic premise: Business is personal. Since day one we've always gone further than the competition to help our clients, colleagues and community flourish. City National Bank was founded in 1954 by entrepreneurs for entrepreneurs and that legacy of integrity, community and unparalleled client relationships continues to drive phenomenal growth today. City National is a subsidiary of Royal Bank of Canada, one of North America’s leading diversified financial services companies.
Positions based in New York City: In order to work on-site at City National Bank in New York City, you must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, per city requirements. Shortly after your start date, you will be required to attest to your vaccination status and will be required to provide proof of vaccination.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled